- This event has passed.
Hiring People with Disabilities
October 27 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Hiring People with Disabilities has Many Advantages and is Easier Than You Think!
Hiring individuals who need accommodations is no different than hiring anyone else!
As for cost, research shows that 56% of accommodations cost absolutely nothing to implement – $0.00! The rest of the accommodations were typically under $500. An important note is that when asked how much employers paid for an accommodation beyond what they would have paid for an employee without a disability who was in the same position, the median answer given by employers was $20. Only twenty dollars more than an employee without a disability! Says Amanda Van Tubergen, Employment Specialist for Disability Network West Michigan.
Not only are there local resources/agencies to help identify what accommodations might be needed, all employers have access to the Job Accommodations Network: “JAN provides free consulting services for all employers, regardless of the size of an employer’s workforce. Services include one-on-one consultation about all aspects of job accommodations, including the accommodation process, accommodation ideas, product vendors, referral to other resources, and ADA compliance assistance.”
There are tax credits employers can receive to offset accommodation and/or access costs, even if ongoing. Small businesses can receive the Disabled Access Credit each and every year they incur any access expenditures listed below.
- Removing barriers that prevent a business from being accessible to or usable by individuals with disabilities;
- Providing qualified interpreters or other methods of making audio materials available to hearing-impaired individuals;
- Implementing qualified readers, taped texts, and other methods of making visual materials available to individuals with visual impairments; or
- Acquiring or modify equipment or devices for individuals with disabilities.
There is also the Work Opportunity Tax Credit that issues a credit for wages paid to, or incurred on behalf of, a disabled employee up to $9,600.
Please join us on 10/27 for a free learning experience on how hiring people with disabilities will improve your work environment on many levels:
- How to engage with people who have a wide range of disabilities
- What State benefits you receive when hiring people with disabilities
- Ideas and next steps for filling your open positions!
United Way Building | 27 East Clay
October 27 | 3 – 4:30 pm
FREE & Seating is limited
RSVP Required: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/191163985627