How To Help
VOLUNTEER – It takes a village to do what we do. You can be part of the Disability Network West Michigan village. We often work with volunteers to help the individuals we work with gain skills. We also work with volunteers to help make our communities more accessible. Call our main office at 231-722-0088 to see how you might contribute to the work we do.
DISABILITY NETWORK WEST MICHIGAN SEEKS VOLUNTEERS!
Disability Network West Michigan is seeking volunteers to assist and empower consumers while advocating on their behalf.
As Muskegon-based nonprofit that provides independent living resources for people with disabilities, DNWM is looking for volunteers to support its work in Muskegon, Oceana, Newaygo, Lake and Mason counties. The ideal volunteer will become educated on the Americans with Disabilities Act and be eager to understand the barriers that those with disabilities encounter, and then assist DNWM by sharpening its advocacy and outreach through a broad range of community activities.
DNWM is in need of volunteers who are willing to:
- Office assistance
- Plan and lead fundraising activities
- Represent DNWM at community events
- Write blogs
- Interact with legislators
- Draft letters to legislators
- Give presentations
- Visit people with disabilities living in nursing facilities
- Mentor youth in transition living with disabilities
- Assist in evaluating accessibility throughout the community, at businesses and in public buildings
- Assist in evaluating polling locations and their level of accessibility
- Coordinate and help plan events to increase awareness and encourage public discussions
- Participate in community advocacy focus groups concentrated on transportation, housing and employment
- Provide peer support to individuals who are struggling to maintain or achieve their independence
All volunteers are required to participate in an orientation and training.
If you would like to learn more about volunteer opportunities or sign up as a volunteer, call Disability Network West Michigan at 231.722.0088.
About Disability Network West Michigan:
Disability Network West Michigan provides independent living resources for people with disabilities in Muskegon, Oceana, Newaygo, Lake and Mason counties. The mission of the nonprofit organization, which is part of the statewide network of Centers for Independent Living, is to empower, educate, advocate, and provide resources for those with disabilities as well as promoting accessible communities. For more information, visit www.disabilitynetworkwm.org.
DONATE – Financial support from the community allows Disability Network West Michigan to make a greater impact in the lives of those we serve and in our communities. Often times, because of the generous gifts of our supporters, we are able to match grants and leverage opportunities. To support Disability Network West Michigan you can call us at our office or click on the donation buttons below.
Disability Network’s mission wouldn’t succeed without donations from generous people like you – thank you for your support!